Thursday, August 2, 2007

Healthy Food Challenge

Callie has laid down the healthy living challenge - a challenge that goes for the next 3 months, beginning August 1st (yesterday) and ending November 1st. Participants track their own progress wih a simple points system, everyone puts ten bucks in a jackpot, and the one with the most points wins.

For me, the 10 bucks just guarantees that I stay focused, not that I win. Certainly the challenge looks easy enough, until you break it down into real life events.

The food portion of the challenge looks like this:

1. Only eat sweets once a week.
2. Eat 3 servings of veggies a day and 2 of fruit.
3. Don't eat for 3 hours before bed.
4. No soda.
5. 8 glasses of water a day.

For me, it breaks down like this:
1. Food is a basic supplement to my sweets habit.
2. Fruit is good - no problem. Veggies, I'm currently getting 1, maybe 2 (if I'm lucky) a day.
3. I snack from the moment I wake to the moment I go to bed (and no, this is not just a pregnant lady thing, though it doesn't help.)
4. I don't like soda, so that's not a problem.
5. The water won't be too hard, I always have a water bottle with me.

So - what I'm going for in this challenge is not perfection but simply improvement. More veggies, less sugar. More meals, fewer snacks. And my final goal: stick to it until the end!

Wish me luck - and good luck to anyone else brave enough to take the challenge.

3 comments:

amanda jane said...

Here is my luck wishing! I already forgot the sweets thing for today and yesterday - and don't even have any veggies in the house right now, unless canned which are no good! So I'll send all my luck to you! You can do it!

Potters said...

Snacking isn't bad if you choose the right snacks - not speaking from experience. As I was wandering the house at two this morning I was snacking on peanuts, cocoa with splenda and a few swigs of Franz's diet coke left in the fridge. I'm not a big soda person but sometimes like when eating peanuts or the few days before a period you need coke.

Potters said...

Hey,

Have you tried the Fiber One chewy bars? They are very tasty, are way low in fat, low in sugar and have NINE grams of fiber per bar! I always get excited when I find something that gives me my spinach but tastes like cake! The flavour I tried was Oats and Chocolate. YUM.

Serena