Monday, August 20, 2007

My Favorite Summer Recipe

Red Sauce

This sauce is delicious with pasta, couscous, or rice and beans. Freeze the sauce in single-eriving airtight containers for up to two months.

3 T olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 onions, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
2 yellow squash, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 zuchinni, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 T dried rosemary, chopped
1 T thyme
4 twenty-eight ounce cans peeled, plum tomatoes

1. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil until soft - about 5 minutes. Add carrots, squash, zucchini, salt and pepper to taste, thyme and rosemary. Stirring occasionally, cook until veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.

2. Transfer half the mixture to a bowl, set aside. Gently crush the tomatoes with hands, and add them with juice to the pot. Simmer until thickens, about 1 1/2 hours. Add reserved squash and heat.

Yummy!

2 comments:

Nicole Hernandez said...

This sounds like a good, healthy recipe. I must say, reading your blog on what your kids eat makes me laugh because my kids are exactly the same way with food. I celebrate if Marco eats 1/2 a banana. He is really into yogurt, but he seems to be having the runs a lot lately, so I guess I should cut back on it. Any suggestions you might have on getting kids to eat are good to me! Nikki

Potters said...

One suggestion is not to give them sweet options. If all their options are healthy then whatever they eat is good.

Okay, I need suggestions on no prep food for an exhausted person. This is my problem I am often too tired to perpare anything so end up eating Kashi granola bars, which are fine, but not very well rounded. The thought of opening the refridgerator drawer, getting out the veggies, washing, chopping etc is just too much. My mom is coming and when Franz ends up making the dinner she makes little comments on how I don't take care of my family. I need suggestions for easy food!

Serena