Monday, September 17, 2007

Dinner Tonight


Well, I think we've just about tapped out our neighbors and friends when it comes to free meals. Our last rotisserie chicken was dropped off about 30 minutes ago. (Can I just say that I love rotisserie chicken.) So now I have to start thinking about feeding my family solo. Yikes! The more people there are to feed the harder it seems to get. I need dinners that are easy, but they must be something Douglas, Addison and Elias will eat because I don't have time to make 3 separate meals!

You wouldn't think that Douglas would be so picky - after all, beggars can't be choosers! But I have to admit I dread his call when he is coming home from work. "Hi honey, I'm on my way home. Is there anything to eat?" Yes, I reply, but I never give the details because I'm usually still coming up with them! Then the question - "What is there?" And somehow, I know that whatever I answer will determine exactly how long it will take him to actually get home. If the answer is acceptable, he'll see me in 20 minutes. If it is not, he has pressing errands to do before coming home. Or, the worst scenario, is the silent pause and the, "I'm just going to pick something up on my way home." Oh the horror! Oh the pressure! We can't have Brie appetizers and Pasta with shrimp and scallops every night! Sometimes you just have to settle for homemade Mac n' Cheese. And yes, Douglas - you must eat your vegetables too!

I don't mean to be too hard on my better half, perhaps I'm just cracking under the "What's for dinner tonight" pressure. Anyone who has to make 3 meals a day everyday will understand.

So my question to anyone who may be listening - What are you FAVORITE standby meals - the meal you turn to when you want something easy that everyone likes. I think mine would have to be spaghetti.

3 comments:

amanda jane said...

Here I could go on and on - I totally get the family of 4 thing and the short order cook stuff. The only guarantees in our house are pizza/calzones or shrimp and rice. And even then John doesn't always go for pizza. more ideas later!

Michele said...

Calzones! Those are always fun. I'm not very good at making them though. Do you have any secrets? I think I make mine to large and then they get kind of lumpy.

Nicole Hernandez said...

One of our favorites is tostadas. I get the crunchy, flat corn tostadas and put refried beans and cheese on them, put them under the broiler until the cheese melts, and then put shredded cabbage, tomatoes and salsa with sour cream. Yum!
Nikki