Saturday, March 15, 2008

More Veggies Please

I hit the farmer's market again this week with 27 dollars in my pocket, determined to support local farmers and get fresh, organic produce.  I was surprised at how far my dollar stretched.  I started with the basics that I would need for dinner, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro.  I also found carrots and beautiful little eggplants.  I really wanted asparagus while it is still in season and got 1 lb for $3.50.  I passed on the artichokes and picked up some apples for Douglas. These were more expensive than I usually like to pay for apples, but I wanted to try our local fare.  I kept passing on the strawberries too until one stand owner started advertising 3 packs for $5!  That was a steal and took the last of my moola.    I came away with a lot of fresh, beautiful food and didn't spend a fortune.    

We are also fortunate to have friends with citrus trees and are phat in oranges, lemons and tangerines.  No scurvy here!  I really love a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, especially when the oranges came of the tree 2 hours before being squeezed.

Here is my menu for the week.

  • Black Bean Taco Salad
  • Foccacia with Potatoes and Bacon
  • Spaghetti Pomodora
  • Curry with Eggplant
  • Roast Chicken with grilled veggies
  • Chicken Soup
  • And of course, pizza night

2 comments:

Nicole Hernandez said...

Do you really cook 6 nights a week? Do you ever make enough for leftovers? I only cook 3 nights a week-we have leftovers 2 nights and do take-out or frozen pizza one night and then Sundays at my mom's. We are very fortunate in that respect. I love dinner at mom's!

Michele said...

Leftovers usually get eaten for lunch. I have the hardest time getting my family to eat leftovers. they are very picky.