Sunday, September 7, 2008

You Don't Make Friends With Salad - H. Simpson


We had our annual neighborhood Potluck Block Party this weekend.  I decided to see what I could do with a little yellow cake mix, pudding mix and sour cream.  This is the cake I created.

I used a 9x14 rectangular dish to bake this in.  I thought a square shaped cake fit my mood.  To make layers, I simply cut the cake in half. Then I piled raspberry jam on one half and placed the other half on top.  I wanted the frosting to match the filling so I added a couple of drops of red food coloring to a buttercream frosting to get pink.  Just for fun I used a pastry bag and piped little flowers around the bottom and on the top.

I have to bring dessert to a Enrichment Night on Tuesday.  I am planning on making this again and using 9 in rounds instead.  I want to do a ribbon piping around the sides next time.  I'll post a picture after I've made it.

Recipe:
1 yellow cake mix
1 vanilla pudding mix
1 C water
2/3 C oil
3 eggs
1/2 C sour cream

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour desired pans.

Slowly beat all ingredients together until smooth and incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape sides of the bowl occasionally.  Increase mixer speed and beat additional 5 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in middle of cake is comes out clean.

Cool cakes in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.

Buttercream Frosting

3/4 C butter, at room temperature
6 C powdered sugar
2 T vanilla
1/4 C milk

1.  Beat butter at high speed until light and fluffy.  Decrease speed and beat in sugar, vanilla and milk.  Check frosting consistency.  For thicker frosting, add more sugar.  To thin frosting, add milk 1 T at a time.



2 comments:

amanda jane said...

I am so happy you are posting again. you inspire. and I REALLY need some inspiration in the kitchen. THANK YOU.

Tami said...

YUM! I love baking cakes, but can't seem to dress them up. This one is really pretty!