Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Spaghetti Carbonara


Can you say cholesterol?
Yummy ,delicious, cholesterol.
This was the first time I've ever made this dish. I wasn't even sure what it was exactly, but it sounded good so I thought, why not. I looked online at several recipes and then used my big Italian Cooking Encyclopedia as a basic guide. I went ahead and made it the old-fashioned way - bacon grease and everything. Next time I'll make a few changes.

The dish in english is called Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon. Here is how I prepared it.

Ingredients:
6 strips of bacon
2 cloves of garlic
2 leeks, thinly sliced (white parts only)
1/4 C white wine
3 eggs, at room temperature
3/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I skipped the salt, considering I was already using bacon)
1 lb spaghetti

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. In a frying pan, cook bacon and set aside when crispy. Chop into small pieces. Drain off all but 1 T of bacon fat.

2. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook to al dente. (You want everything to be hot at the same time) In a large serving bowl beat together the eggs and Parmesan cheese with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.

3. While the pasta is cooking, saute garlic and leeks in bacon fat for 3-4 minutes. Add wine, scraping the pan clean. Add bacon back into mixture and reheat.

4. As soon as the pasta is done, pour 1/4 C boiling water into the eggs to temper them. Drain the pasta and quickly mix all ingredients together. Stir well. The heat from the pasta and bacon fat will finish cooking the eggs. Serve immediately.

I served this with fresh spinach. The sauce is creamy and savory - no kidding!

1 comment:

Potters said...

Looks yummy. I'm pretty sure my mom has made it. We will go for old fashioned BLT's. Also, have you tried the healthy pasta that looks white but has omegas and fiber? My family could not tell the difference - though I still make them eat whole wheat anyhow.